Ringing Off the Hook

Dearest Rachel –

Even as I was being escorted off the ship, I acknowledged to my host that, “well, as long as there is Internet where I’m going, I think I’ll be okay.” And so far, what events there have been succeeding that have pretty much borne that out. My Bible app, which requires an Internet connection to use properly, is doing its usual job; I’ve been able to access all of my usual news sites; and even YouTube (on the few occasions I’ve even bothered to watch the stuff) has been functioning more or less optimally.

Admittedly, between writing you and answering phone calls, I haven’t really gotten a chance to play the Civilization game I was hoping to get back to – and I may not for the coming week, either, as it would seem I’ve had an issue with my gaming computer. I don’t know if it’s the plug or the battery, but as I was loading the game, I stepped away to get a glass of water, and when I returned, the screen had gone black, and I can’t seem to turn it back on. It may be that the battery wasn’t getting any juice for a while, and has been drained, but now I’m not sure how to get the power back in there. At least the other computer works fine, both in terms of usability and the fact that it can charge itself, but it’s a bit of a concern. I’ll have to address that when I get home I suppose.

Yes, I’ve been answering phone calls for the past couple of days. I may be stuck within these four walls, but my voice is going all over the place. Lars talked me through getting my phone set up to make calls using the wi-fi, rather than my cellular plans, and since the former comes included with the room, while the latter runs a fairly steep per-minute rate, that’s a big deal. So I’ve been able to keep in touch with the folks back home, as well as Daniel (on occasion – he’s not easy to reach by phone, but he will respond to texts and email).

To be fair, today has been keeping me busy with local calls thus far (which is understandable, as it’s only half-past six back home; the day has hardly even started). The cantonal Board of Health has finally gotten around to my case, and allowed me to explain my circumstances.

Much to my delight, the fellow on the other end stated that since my symptoms began on Thanksgiving evening, the ten days of seclusion would be counted from then, rather than from when my test on the ship came back positive. Now, that wouldn’t necessarily mean that I could fly home immediately; but, I could at least leave my room by Sunday, as opposed to next Wednesday. Maybe I could shop for something to eat other than room service, or souvenirs, before calling it a trip.

In order to get home, I would need to take a PCR test to verify that I was negative for live virus. When I relayed this information to Louise, she expressed concern that I might not test positive immediately negative immediately, and this require further confinement. Of course, I know that situation all too well – you remember it from last year, God bless you – but at this juncture, I’m pretty sure that the decision isn’t exactly mine to make, nor have I the option to refuse. Airports and airlines have their requirements, and I need to abide by them if I am to use their facilities.

As much as I’m looking forward to the idea of just getting outside, let alone heading home, I have to remember that I still have three more days until then to put up with.

Not to mention a bit of paperwork; it turns out, I have to report to the cantonal authorities about who I was in close contact with (Which is to say, within 1.5 m and unmasked and for more than 15 minutes) within the last 48 hours before having symptoms. Fortunately, I’m pretty sure that’s limited to the family at Thanksgiving. Yes, there was the Thanksgiving Eve service, but I was in the booth for most of that time, and thus well more than a meter and a half from everybody. So I get to embrace the healing power of ‘and’ when it comes to that question.

At least some of the time has begun to tick away, so I’m apparently a few days ahead of King James, now. Yes, although I know you never cared that much about sportsball, it seems that LeBron – an athlete with as much reputation for his mouth as his skill (which is considerable, no doubt), has tested positive after being double vaxxed just like me. Thank heaven (or maybe just you?) that I’m not a Lakers fan – or much of a sports fan anymore, for that matter.

Perhaps I could advise him to keep an ion things going outside of his hotel window; you never know the sorts of things you’re going to see.

Somebody’s working a crane atop the hotel, if I interpret this correctly. I admit, it’s probably not worth calling reception to find out what’s going on, but I have to acknowledge being curious. In fact, I’m curious as to how they got this thing over here in the middle of these otherwise narrow streets.
I had to zoom in on the company name, because I didn’t want to believe that I was seeing the name that I thought I was seeing. Fortunately, I wasn’t.
I have no idea if that somebody in the capsule atop the crane, but if it is, I don’t like the way he’s looking at me.

I’d say it was one of those kind of mornings, except it’s now going on two. So I think that I will let you go, and I’ll unwind but I’m looking for a few sports ball fails. Maybe I’ll find out if Ah-nold throws like a girl.

Until then, honey, take care. And keep an eye out for us all.

Published by randy@letters-to-rachel.memorial

I am Rachel's husband. Was. I'm still trying to deal with it. I probably always will be.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: